The reason I bring this up is because while I was having lunch at Friendly's today, I saw a man who comes into Friday's a lot. I don't know anything about him other than he likes Jack Daniels Chicken and he loves tea. I'm fascinated by him even though there is nothing extraordinary about him. He's about 40 years old and always well groomed. He always wears khakis and sneakers and was probably picked on as a child for being a nerd. And he always reads. He has never had company for lunch. He always comes in by himself and reads and has lunch. He usually drinks 3 to 4 mugs of tea and just sits and reads. He fascinates because of his simplicity. I have never seen him on a cell phone or pecking away at a laptop. I have never even seen him look at his watch. I don't know his name because he never pays with a credit card. He never seems to be in a hurry and just always seems so calm and relaxed. You don't see many people like that anymore. I enjoy him.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Technology
Sometimes it really bothers me that I am so reliant on technology. If I'm in my house I am never more than 10 feet away from my computer or cell phone. While I'm out, I check my phone excessively, afraid I may have missed an important phone call or text. All this technology is supposed to make life easier because you can access almost anything from almost anywhere, but quite frankly I think it makes me more stressed out. Before I had a cell phone I didn't need to talk to people. If they needed to speak with me they had to call the house and leave a message. Now, they can get a hold of me anywhere and if for some reason I am not available they get irritated because "why aren't you picking up your cell phone?!" You can't hide anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment